Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Vilest of Offenders

Today is such a beautiful day! It's a perfectly gorgeous, blue skied sunny Southern California day! I am so incredibly blessed to be here! It saddens me to think of all the days that go by that I just take for granted without even noticing the shade of blue or indigo in the sky. tisk tisk.


Well, today in my quiet time I read a few chapters in my Bible. First I read John chapter 6, then I finished reading Matthew chapter 7 from yesterday. Although those 2 chapters are filled with beefy goodness, I was particulary struck by Acts chapter 9, the conversion of Saul. Now, Saul was the persecutor of all persecutors. This man was ruthless against Christians, and was singlehandedly responsible for more Christian deaths than any other. Saul was evil, through and through. In this chapter, we learn that Saul had an encounter with Jesus, and that Jesus spoke. Saul was blinded by a great light that came down from heaven and when he cried out "Who are you Lord?", Jesus repied "I am Jesus, who you are persecuting." Jesus then gave Saul some instructions on where to go to regain his sight. So he went down the road to Damascus to meet up with a man named Ananais, just as Jesus had commanded.

Now, here's where it gets tricky and my attention was caught. Jesus also approached Ananias to make sure he would be prepared for Saul. When Ananias heard this news, his immediate reaction was that of accusation. Beginning in verse

13 "But Ananias answered, 'Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name."

He made sure to point out to Jesus just exactly who Saul was. Don't we do just that? Don't we look at people, and their vilest offenses, and think they are unworthy? Don't we look at criminals on death row and think they don't deserve another chance? Don't we look at child molestors and rapists and think they should be doomed? Saul was going around killing people for no reason other than that they were Christ followers. Ananias obviously thought he was unworthy. But listen to what Jesus says picking up in verse 15 "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel." Saul was a chosen vessel! The Lord took the vilest offender and CHOSE him to be His witness!

Let's think about this. Jesus met Saul on the road to Damascus and revealed Himself. Didn't Jesus already know who Saul was? Didn't Jesus already know of the things Saul was accused of? Did He need Ananias to give Him the rundown of who this man was? Even though Christ knew who this man was, He still chose to use him. Who are we to judge, or even voice our opinion about who deserves to know Jesus? Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY deserves the opportunity to make their life right and come to know the Lord. He uses people with unpleasant testimonies in a mighty way everyday. Do we look back on our past and forget that we were guilty, too? I am so thankful for Jesus seeing past the ugly and giving me the chance I never deserved! Let's practice compassion and forgiveness. Let's not play God. We are commanded as Christians to tell the world about Jesus. It's not up to us to pick and choose who to tell....we are to tell everyone!

*Heavenly Father, I pray that You will give Christians around the world the boldness to get out there and share Your love with even the least lovely. ~Amen*

No comments: